The Italian physician, Maria Montessori, opened her first school in 1907. The first Montessori school in the United States was opened in 1911, and by 1916 the Montessori school style can be found at almost every region of the world.
There are basically two branches of Montessori method, namely the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) and the American Montessori Society (AMS). The Association Montessori Internationale was founded by Maria Montessori in 1927, to maintain the standard she has developed and to ensure that the work continued even after her death. Nancy Rambush began the Montessori school method in the United States, and also founded the American Montessori Society (AMS) in 1960. One important thing to note here is that both branches are being used in preschools throughout the United States, and they both have excellent programs for teachers. Also, they both support the use of Montessori materials. These learning materials are self-correcting, as it present the opportunity to be used in only one way by the child, thereby eliminating the possibility of using it wrongly.
What Are Montessori’s Main Components?
- The relationship between family and school is essential.
- Most Montessori classrooms children of different age groups, this is intended to get the children more opportunities to learn from each other.
- Montessori is championing that idea that children learn best by doing.
- After the teacher might have demonstrated with the use of learning materials, children are allowed to practice on any materials on their own.
- Children are allowed to work independently when given materials on a lesson
- It is sensory learning based; children lean by touching, seeing, smelling, tasting, and exploring rather than by listening alone.
- The child’s work is valued as a purposeful, ordered activity toward a determined end.
- The main classrooms materials are “didactic.” These materials are self-correcting and involves sensory experiences. .
What Is Unique About the Program?
The Montessori method is unique in the sense that it seek to support the child development by preparing them with self-correcting materials. With these, children can creatively learn from errors, in a controlled environment.
How Can One Tell If a School Is Truly Following the Montessori Method?
The simplest method to know if a school is Montessori method is by making sure that the teachers are AMI or AMS trained. Not every school who claim to be a Montessori school have teachers with Montessori training.